eVetPractice is integrated with Abaxis Cloud Service. Clients will submit a lab in eVetPractice and manually enter the test information into the device. eVetPractice sends the patient details and test information to Abaxis Cloud Service and records the accession id in our system. When results are ready, we will receive the results from Abaxis Cloud Service and match them to the patient using the accession id. Currently we only submit information to Abaxis Cloud Service, not to the analyzers because the results do not get transmitted back down to the analyzers.
This is still a beta process with Abaxis so the customer will need to contact Abaxis to start the process. Abaxis will connect the customer's lab equipment to a "blackbox" that connects to the cloud.
NOTE: The VetSync integration, like the direct integration, currently only works with the VS2 and HM5 analyzers. VS Pro integration is not available.
Abaxis side Setup
Abaxis has to set things up on your side first. They will send you a hardware device and help you set it up. Abaxis will complete the following steps before eVetPractice turns on the Vetsync integration
1. Abaxis will send you a new hardware device
2. You will connect the VetSync to the network and power it up
3. Abaxis will update the device
4. You will connect the analyzers to the VetSync, switching the VS2 to ascii mode. If the HM5 has never been connected to a computer then the data output settings may need to be configured
5. Abaxis will confirm the connections
6. You will likely test the connectivity by ordering and running new tests or re-transmitting previous results
- Go to Settings Gear icon > General Menu, and expand Integration Settings
- Enable the option "Enable Abaxis VetSync Integration? "
- Click Save at the bottom of the screen. A new menu will now be available. Click on the Abaxis Setup menu to continue.
- Enter the account information that is provided by Abaxis
- Click Save to save the changes.
Creating or Editing Lab Items
Once the set up is completed you will need to either populate the lab codes or edit your existing lab items to use the correct Abaxis order codes.
To automatically populate the order codes use the following steps:
- Go to Settings Gear icon > Labs and create a new category named " Abaxis Vetsync"
- Go to Settings Gear icon > Abaxis Setup
- Open the Order Codes section
- Select "Abaxis Vetsync" from the list
- Click on "Populate Lab Codes from Abaxis Services"
- Once the labs are created, you can adjust the lab properties as desired (name, cost, price, etc). Do not change the Abaxis Order code.
To manually update existing labs
- Go to Settings Gear icon > Labs and edit the lab item:
- Enable the option "Is Abaxis Lab Item" and also add the correct Abaxis Vetsync order code. Repeat the process for each of the Abaxis Vetsync labs.
Please Note: For labs that use a combination of these labs, you would need to first create individual lab items. Once you have them created, you can add them to a package and set the price on the package level.
Here is the list of the current available codes:
How to submit a Lab Order
The integration just receives the results right now, it will not send requests to the analyzers.
- Add the order code to the patient’s record
- Repeat for other tests needed
- Submit the order, there is nothing to print
- Go to analyzer and enter the patient id, choose tests to run, and process lab work
- Once analyzer is done, it will transmit results to Abaxis’s cloud
- eVetPractice will pull results from Abaxis Cloud Service and place them in the patient’s record and the lab dashboard.
If the results do not show up on the patient’s medical record, check the unassigned lab results. If the results were entered before the lab order was submitted, or if the incorrect patient ID was entered, the results could show in the unassigned labs section.
- Click Home menu > Labs menu
- Scroll down to the Unassigned Lab Results section.
- Identify a result you want to assign to a patient. Click double arrow icon on the far left
- Enter patient name last name or patient ID to perform a patient search.
- Select the desired patient from the search results.
- Click on the Lab Order drop down and select (if any) the desired lab order to link it to. If there is not a lab order that matches, just leave it as it is.
- Click Save.