You can view DICOM format radiograph image files within eVetPractice that have been uploaded as a document to a patient's electronic medical record.
In order to view DICOM radiographs in eVetPractice, you will need to have a DICOM Viewer (software) installed on your computer. There are many software vendors who provide DICOM viewing software, some of them for free.
If you do not already have one installed, we've provided installation links and step-by-step instructions at the end of this article for the IrfanView Graphic Viewer. NOTE: The IrfanView Graphic Viewer is for Windows Operating Systems only and does not allow for manipulation of the DICOM radiograph image.
Viewing DICOM Radiograph Files
Once a DICOM radiograph has been added as a document to a patient's medical record, you can open the radiograph from eVetPractice.
- In the Patent's medical record, click the magnifying glass () next to the DICOM radiograph document item.
- You may be prompted to open/download the radiograph image file in the DICOM Viewer you have installed. Continue to open the radiograph file.
- The DICOM radiograph image file will open in a new window.
- When done viewing the radiograph, click the X in the upper right corner to close the window.
Installing IrfanView Graphic Viewer
If you do not already have a DICOM Viewer installed, we've provided installation instructions below for the IrfanView Graphic Viewer and the related IrfanView Graphic Viewer Plug-In.
NOTE: The IrfanView Graphic Viewer is for Windows Operating Systems only and does not allow for manipulation of the DICOM radiograph image.
IrfanView Graphic Viewer
- Download the irfanview.exe file attached at the end of this article.
- Browse to the downloaded file and double-click irfanview.exe.
- On the Welcome screen, choose the option For all users. Review all other settings. Click Next.
- Click Next on the What's new in this version screen.
- Check the box beside DCM/ACR/IMA (DICOM Format). Click Next.
- Click Next on the Ready to Install screen.
- Click Yes to the confirmation pop-up message.
- On the Installation successful screen, uncheck Start IrfanView then click Done.
IrfanView Graphic Viewer Plug-In
- Download the irfanview_plugins.exe file attached at the end of this article.
- Browse to the downloaded file and double-click irfanview_plugins.exe.
- Click Next on the Welcome screen.
- Click OK to the Installation Successful pop-up message.