Question: How do I set up or edit the Calendar Resources?
eVetPractice offers you 4 different calendar views - Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and Resource view. Resource view is quickly becoming one of the most popular ways to use the calendar. It allows you to have customized columns in which you can place appointments for each day.
Note: The Resources columns only show up in the Resource calendar view. If you change your view to Day, Week or Month then your calendar resource columns will not display.
In order to use this feature, you first must make sure it is enabled on your site.
- Go to the Settings Menu (Gear Icon)
- You will be defaulted to the General tab
- Scroll down to Calendar Settings and click on the section to expand it
- If desired, change the "Default View" to Resource (recommended)
- Check the box next to "Enable resource view"
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Save button (not pictured)
Once you have enabled Resource view, by default, eVetPractice will automatically show columns for each employee flagged as a Provider and another column for Clinic. However, the resource columns to display are customizable. In order to customize your columns follow the instructions below.
- Go to the Settings Menu (Gear Icon)
- Click on Calendar Resources
- Click "Add Calendar Resource". If modifying an exist calendar resource, click the Edit pencil next to it.
This will bring up the following screen:
- Fill out the Name as you want it to appear on the calendar for that resource column
- Assign a Provider, if desired. For example, if you were creating a column for a certain veterinarian, you would want to make them to be automatically assigned as the provider for any appointments scheduled associated to this resource column. If this were a column for Tech Appointments, then a provider would not be necessary.
- Click Save.
You can add as many resources as you need for your practice. You can also drag-and-drop the calendar resources to change the order they appear on the calendar. Additionally, you can disable (turn circle red), enable (turn circle green) and delete resource columns. Note: If you disable or delete a resource column, any existing appointments scheduled (past, present, and future) under that resource column will now appear under the first resource column when viewing the appointment calendar.
Customizing which Days the Resource Columns Appear
You can customize which day(s) of the week each resource column appears on the appointment calendar, if desired. If not configured, then eVetPractice will automatically show all enabled (green) resource columns.
You'll be able to define which day or days the resource column should appear. You have the ability to specify a single day only (e.g. for a Relief Vet) or configure Repeat settings (e.g. Only show Monday - Friday, but not on Saturday or Sunday though the end of the month).
In order to customize which day(s) each of the resource columns should appear on, follow the instructions below.
- Below the list of Calendar Resources, click on the desired date.
- Choose the desired resource name in the Resource drop-down list.
- If scheduling to show on that date only, just click Save. However, if you'd like to set up a recurring schedule of days, check the box beside the Repeat option.
- For Repeat scheduling, in the new window that appears, set as desired.
- Repeats: Allows you to set the repeat schedule. Choices include daily, every weekday, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc...
- Repeats every: This allows you to drill down the recurrence even more if the options above were not exactly what you needed. For example, if you need something to occur every other month you could choose "Monthly" under Repeats and then this field will allow you to say every 2 months.
- Repeat on/Repeat by: This field will change depending on if you have chosen weekly or monthly repeating type. If you have chose weekly then you will see "Repeat On." This will allow you to specify which days of the week this calendar resource should recur/appear. If you have chosen monthly then you will see "Repeat by." This will allow you to say repeat by a certain day of the month or a certain weekday (like the second Tuesday of each month).
- End: Here you can specify if there should be a certain number of occurrences or if it should just recur until a certain date. You could set this date very far into the future if you did not want it to ever stop recurring. It is strongly advised you do not set the end date too far off in the future (i.e. in the year 2025) as it will take a long time to save the changes and propagate the calendar settings.
- Summary: This will tell you in words exactly what you have scheduled so there is no confusion.
- Once you have the repeat settings configured as desired, click the Done button.
- Back on the initial "Add Resource Schedule" pop-up window, click the Save button.
- Repeat for the remaining resource columns.
What About Closed and Holiday Days?
Now that you've gone though and configured the resource columns to appear on certain days of the week, you may notice back on your calendar, that on certain days where no resource column is configured to appear, that all of them show. As alluded to earlier, if no resource column is configured for a particular day at all, then eVetPractice will automatically show all enabled (green) resource columns.
We recommend creating an additional "Closed" and/or "Holiday" resource column that you schedule to show on those respective days.
Making Changes to the Resource Schedule
Now that you've setup the schedule of day(s) for your resource columns to appear, you'll most likely encounter situations where you'll need to make adjustments. Some examples may be:
- Wrong Resource Column chosen when adding to the resource calendar schedule
- Specific date within a recurring schedule where the resource column should not appear (e.g. Vacation day for a Veterinarian)
- Removing a resource column from no longer appearing after a specific date when originally configured recurring on a recurring schedule (e.g. Veterinarian retired)
When you click on a specific resource name on the resource scheduling calendar view, you have two options: Edit and Cancel.
Important Note About Canceling and Editing: If a resource column already has appointments scheduled on the date(s) you Edit (to change to a different resource name) or Cancel the related resource's schedule of appearance, those scheduled appointments on the appointment calendar will display under the resource column that appears first on the appointment calendar schedule. You could then drag-and-drop or edit those appointments to show under the desired resource column. We suggest adding the replacement resource column to the resource column schedule first, then go to the appointment calendar for the respective day(s), and relocating as necessary. When done, come back the Calendar Resource configuration area and Cancel the resource column's appearance from displaying on the respective day(s).
Editing a Resource Schedule
If you Edit an item that was not configured to appear on a recurring basis, you will be able to change the Resource column name associated of that particularly scheduled item. Example: You added Relief Vet 1 for that day but meant to choose Relief Vet 2. Rather than cancelling and starting all over again, simply edit that instance.
If you Edit an item that was configured to appear on a recurring basis, you will be able to change the Resource column name associated of that particularly scheduled item without effecting all other scheduled days originally tied the initially configured resource's scheduled. Example: You added Dr. Barry Cudda's resource column to appear on M, T, F, and Sat. However, Dr. Barry Cudda will be out one particular Friday next month and a Relief Vet will be there in his place. Edit Dr. Barry Cudda's Friday scheduled resource on the desired date and change it to the Relief Vet resource column name.
Cancelling a Resource Schedule
If you Cancel an item that was not configured to appear on a recurring basis, you'll be prompted to confirm you want to cancel that particular resource schedule.
If you Cancel an item that was configured to appear on a recurring basis, you'll be prompted to confirm you want to cancel that particular resource schedule.
- Only this Resource Schedule - This cancel that particular resource's schedule from that day only. It will not effect future days' schedule of appearance.
- This Resource Schedule and Future Resource Schedules for Series - This option will cancel all of that particular resource's schedule starting that day and forward.
- Cancel - Closes the window without making any changes.
Drag-and-Drop a Resource Scheduled Item
On the Resource scheduling calendar, you do have the ability to drag-and-drop an individual resource item from one day to another.
If you Drag-and-Drop an item that was not configured to appear on a recurring basis, you'll be prompted to confirm you want to you want to make that particular resource schedule change.
If you Drag-and-Drop an item that was configured to appear on a recurring basis, you'll be prompted to confirm you want to you want to make that particular resource schedule change. It will not effect past or future days' schedule of appearance.
Drag-and-Drop confirmation message:
This particular appointment calendar started out having five resource columns being displayed. After configuring resource scheduling, the Relief Vet and Grooming resource columns no longer appear on Tuesday, according to the schedule defined.