In some scenarios returning an item makes more sense than voiding a transaction. For the examples below we recommended you return the item. For more information on how to return an item or process a void, please see the overview article - Overview: Voiding vs. Returning once a Payment has been Processed
- Incorrect price and/or quantity on paid item - once you process the return a credit will be applied to the client's account and the items will be returned to inventory (if you mark the check box to do so). You can then charge the correct quantity and/or price of the item back to client's account and apply the credit to the new balance. If there is still a credit left on the account you can cash the client out. If they owe more money then you can process an additional payment. You may need to back date the deposit date to the date the item was originally purchased by clicking Edit History in the Payment History Screen.
- Client needs to return unwanted paid items - you would return the items, send the items back to inventory by checking off that box, and then cash the client out.
- Incorrect treatment item charged to client and paid - You would want to return the item, delete it from the treatment, and then add the correct item to the treatment. If there is still a credit left on the account you can cash the client out. If they owe more money then you can process an additional payment. You may need to back date the deposit date to the date the item was originally purchased by clicking Edit History in the Payment History Screen.
- Return without receipt and no payment history of the item - If there is no history of the item ever being processed in eVetPractice, but you still want to give the client a refund you will have to manually apply the credit to the client's account and update inventory quantity on hand.
RETURNING AN ITEM WITH CREDIT CARD PROCESSING (BLUEFIN OR MERCURY) INTEGRATION
Once you return the item and are ready to Cash Out the remaining credit so it goes back on the client's card, you will need to reswipe the card or enter the credit card number manually on the credit card reader. Otherwise you must leave the credit on the client's record as in store credit.
AFTER THE ITEMS HAVE BEEN RETURNED
- Inventory will be updated if you chose to return the items to inventory. This should not require a manual update.
- Payment History - You will only need to change the Deposit Date of the applied credit if the returned item was incorrectly placed on the client's record in the first place. If this occurs, you will return the incorrect item, add the new item, use the credit from the first item to pay for the correct item, and finally click Edit History to mark that the date you applied the credit was the same date they originally purchased the treatment and not the current date.
- Sales/End of Shift Reports - Your reports will only be affected if you needed to Edit the Payment History. In this case you may need to rerun your report to ensure your bookkeeping is up to date.